Saturday, June 28, 2014

Iso Grid ... WORKING?!

As you can see I've gotten farther with my stuff, I have a moveable character and an isometric grid, but there is something off with the way the pixel art is rendering as it's not crisp and beautiful as I want it to be. It's probably because I just don't know what I'm doing with the camera and units yet. I'll look into it more later. The tiles are all placeholders, so is the character - though that is actually my own art.

I think I want to have the map layout zigzag style as opposed to the diamond style though. Figuring out this stuff was extremely difficult considering the only examples were poorly explained, had no comments, and written in languages other than C# or included code with no unity C# equivalents (such as sprite batch, which I still don't really know how that works).

What I ended up doing was Instantiating prefab tiles(cloning a pre-made tile) instead of what all the examples I found were doing - which was finding a sprite within a sprite sheet. I was able to get a top-down square tile type map to work absolutely fine so if I can't get the finesse of the isometric tiles to be what I want I may just scrap the iso theme and stick with something simpler. I've come this far though, so I think there's a good chance I'll be able to do what I originally wanted to do- beautiful iso tiles!!!



Update: Well it didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, and I found errors and issues that I also fixed, but I have the isometric map drawing like I want it to. Now to implement a way to change up the tiles.


Update2 : I can use Tiled to create my maps and then use the data saved in the txt format for the actual maps within Unity. I'm doing this for now because the idea of writing a tile map editor that does Iso tiles... just no. This work around will be very nice and I'm fine with doin' it this way for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment